I am actually off camping for 2 whole weeks tomorrow. It’s ok…I do live in the South of France where the weather is pretty hot in the summer. That being said I always used to go when I lived in the U.K. too and it rained a lot!
I think there are many reasons why us horse girl’s thrive whilst camping & here is why…
1) We are used to be being cold & wet (well, if you are British anyway.) But I think horse girls worldwide can relate to those days at the yard when it is torrential rain & freezing cold. You can’t feel your fingers & think you will never be warm again but it is all worth while when your darling is exercised & put back in their cozy warm stable.
2) The lack of cleaning facilities are not a problem for horse girls. We are used to spending all day at the yard. We are used to getting a bit smelly after mucking out. Getting hay and straw all over ourselves. Horse slobber is everywhere. And we are used eating our lunch without washing our hands. Camping is actually quite luxurious in comparison.
3) This then leads us to the ‘facilities.’ If the toilet situation is a little less than desirable camping it’s probably far better than the stable toilet. I actually got frightened to go in ours the other day as something quite big moved in the undergrowth by the door. The toilet I don’t think has ever been cleaned so I didn’t fancy my chances even from the outside and there is never ever any toilet roll. Note to self pack my own toilet roll for camping.
4) Camping brings back glorious memories of pony club camp. Those days were the best. We would ride all day then sneakily eat chocolate biscuits in our tents. My friend Lucy & I used to get dressed for riding the night before. We would sleep in our clothes so when we were awoken at the crack of dawn we could lay in our warm beds right up to the last minute & not get up and get changed in the cold.
Click here to get your camping stuff from Amazon.
5) Mud glorious mud! Something else that if you camp in bad weather you will have to get used to. Of course us horse girls know all about mud & it no longer bothers us. It helps that we have all the boots, coats, hats and waterproofs already needed to stay dry and warm and it really doesn’t matter if your horsey clothes get covered in mud it probably is already.
6) Some places you can take your horse! It’s becoming more and more popular to be able to take your four legged friend with you. If you don’t take your own you may well be pitched next to a field of other four legged creatures you can make friends with. You’ll surely be able to take your dog.
7) Being outside. I just love it! There’s nothing that beats seeing the sunset and getting up nice and early whilst camping in a nice quiet field and listening to the birds tweet.
8) Its cheap! Camping is a great holiday that doesn’t break the bank. Which of course leaves you more money for horse related necessities.
So there you have it. Camping is in fact the perfect holiday for a horse girl. Our way of life has prepared us brilliantly for it. Go grab your tent and get going!
** This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to click through and purchase something at no extra cost to you I will receive a tiny bit of commission**.
Let me know if you have been camping or love it in the comments section!
Copyright of In Due Horse and Louise Dando 2019.
If you liked this blog be sure to check out